Church of the Open Door's Youth Ministry will be sending 14 students and 4 leaders to Hopkins Village in Belize for 10 days of ministry. We join the bigger story of Open Door's decade long relationship with Pastor Herdie and his church as we strive to reach out with the love of Christ to those in this amazing community.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Written by Sarah Pierce on Tuesday Night

Despite the lack of sleep, the rising sun called me out of bed this morning. I couldn’t resist beginning my first day in Belize. Tasha, Shireen and I quickly headed out to the beach to investigate. The sun was rising above the horizon, but ominous storm-clouds weren’t far off. The rain came in during our first Belizean breakfast, and, as I expected, was amazing. Fried jacks… what could be better? After some quality centering time, we headed out to meet the infamous Guadalupe. Lucky for me, she was far from shy and got me started when I couldn’t come up with anything to say. The journey back was long but worth it since we walked along the shore, and the sun finally began to shine again.
My real adventure today, however, occurred after lunch. Anna, Michael, Emily, Lisa and I headed to the Ariola’s home. Once the tutor was finished with their lesson for the day, we headed in and I was finally able to meet the brittle bone kids I had heard so much about. No stories could possibly do justice to these amazing kids, so I tell you this just to give you a taste of what one could never possibly fully experience without an actual encounter. Raheem, Cindy, and Destiny beamed as we entered their room. Vicky, their mom, put them in their strollers and, with Mike’s help, got them down the stairs. I loved them instantly, but couldn’t erase the fear that overwhelmed my heart. I wanted so badly to love on them as I did the rest of the kids, but they were different, so fragile. I was so afraid of causing them any pain that I resisted the initial temptation to get close to them.
We began our adventure with them, Anna with Raheem and Cindy’s stroller, and Lisa with Destiny’s. I walked alongside, occasionally asking simple questions to try to start some conversations. Raheem lead us on our journey, telling us which directions to turn and where he wanted to go. They were so incredibly happy, even though most others in their condition would find nothing to be joyful about. They were confined to a stroller, unable to ever walk and hardly allowed the use of their limbs, yet smiles spread across their faces the entire time. Raheem wanted to see the ocean, so we wheeled them across the sand and gazed at God’s masterpiece. As we were deciding to head back, Anna offered to let me push the stroller…
Anxiety consumed me again. Anna later admitted she could tell how terribly afraid I was, due to my pushing the stroller with such incredible caution. I knew that if the road got too bumpy at all, it could very easily injure them. I couldn’t stand the thought of causing these amazing kids any pain and I wasn’t sure what to do, but then I gazed down at Raheem and Cindy. Their huge grins were a gift from God to melt it all away, and I knew we’d be fine. We continued on and they continued to encourage me with their high spirits and goofy comments about “busted lights,” … but that’s another story. We arrived back at their home and shared some bubbles before saying goodbye for the day. Cindy grabbed my finger and I realized that God gives a gentle spirit, and He knows what He’s doing, even when I don’t. I can’t wait to see them again. Belize = love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home